Asthma is a respiratory disorder that affects children and adults. Advanced practice nurses often provide treatment to patients with these disorders. Sometimes patients require immediate treatment making it essential that you recognize and distinguish minor asthma symptoms from serious, life-threatening symptoms. Since symptoms and attacks are often induced by a trigger, advanced practice nurses must also help patients identify their triggers and recommend appropriate management options. Like many other disorders, there are various approaches to treating and managing care for asthmatic patients depending on individual patient factors. One method that supports the clinical decision-making of drug therapy plans for asthmatic patients is the stepwise approach, which you explore in this Assignment.
· Consider drugs used to treat asthmatic patients including long-term control and quick relief treatment options for patients. Think about the impact these drugs might have on patients including adults and children.
· Review Chapter 25 of the Arcangelo and Peterson text. Reflect on using the stepwise approach to asthma treatment and management.
· Consider how stepwise management assists health care providers and patients in gaining and maintaining control of the disease.
What to do:
· Describe long-term control and quick relief treatment options for asthma patients, as well as the impact these drugs might have on patients.
· Explain the stepwise approach to asthma treatment and management.
· Explain how stepwise management assists health care providers and patients in gaining and maintaining control of the disease.
Please pay attention to drug-drug interactions.
The NLH guidelines for asthma are a good reference.
– This work should have Introduction and conclusion
– This work should have at 4 to 6 current references (Year 2012 and up)
– Use at least 2 references from class Learning Resources
The following Resources are not acceptable:
2. Cdc.gov- nonhealthcare professionals section
Arcangelo, V. P., Peterson, A. M., Wilbur, V., & Reinhold, J. A. (Eds.). (2017). Pharmacotherapeutics for advanced practice: A practical approach (4th ed.). Ambler, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
This website presents a comprehensive review of prescription and over-the-counter drugs including information on common uses and potential side effects. It also provides updates relating to new drugs on the market, support from health professionals, and a drug-drug interactions checker.
National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. (2007). Expert panel report 3 (EPR3): Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma. Retrieved from http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/asthma/asthgdln.htm