Change Leadership: Risk Management, Safety, and Environment
Youngberg (2011) conveys the transformation needed for effective health care quality, risk management, and regulatory compliance on behalf of health care leaders following the release of IOM reports (p. 293). The author stresses the importance of learning from other industries, constructing high reliability organizations (p. 294), developing trust and transparency (p. 296), promoting justice and accountability (p.298), and committing to a culture of safety (p. 300); additionally, Youngberg emphasizes the new principles for high reliability-high performing health care organizations (p. 302).
In your initial post to this discussion:
- Describe how transformational leaders can initiate change that involves one or more of the concepts discussed in this unit’s readings.
- Provide additional insights relating to leadership within the changing environment of the health care industry.
- Include a minimum of two peer-reviewed, current journal articles in your discussion of insights.
In your initial post, include APA-formatted in-text citations and accompanying, congruent APA-formatted references.
Respond to the posts of other learners according to the Faculty Expectations Response Guidelines. If possible, respond to one learner who has a perspective, background, or goals that are similar to yours, and to one learner whose perspective, background, or goals are different. Peer responses should be substantive, and need to include one peer-reviewed source that aligns with the discussion thread. You may feel free to add an additional source that is new or provides a completely different perspective. “I agree” and “Thanks for sharing your insights” are examples of responses that do not contribute content for enhanced learning, and are not acceptable. The goal is quality, substantive feedback that demonstrates higher-order critical thinking and evaluation of peers’ initial posts.
Youngberg, B. J. (2011). Principles of risk management and patient safety. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
Scorecard Analysis: Process Improvement Report
To prepare to complete this assignment, review the following materials from the study activity in Unit 8, which are also linked in the Resources:
- Kaplan and Norton’s 1992 article, “The Balanced Scorecard: Measures that Drive Performance,” from Harvard Business Review. This Kaplan and Norton framework is a valuable resource for this assignment.
- Gunduz and Simsek’s 2007 article, “A Strategic Safety Management Framework Through Balanced Scorecard and Quality Function Deployment,” from Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering. Note that Kaplan and Norton’s 1992 balanced scorecard framework is depicted in Figure 2 of this article.
- Koumpouros’ 2013 article, “Balanced Scorecard: Application in the General Panarcadian Hospital of Tripolis, Greece,” from International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance.
- Behrouzi, Shaharoun, and Ma’aram’s 2014 article, “Applications of the Balanced Scorecard for Strategic Management and Performance Measurement in the Health Sector,” from Australian Health Review.
- The updates addressed in Kaplan and Norton’s 1996 article, “Linking the Balanced Scorecard to Strategy,” from California Management Review.
- Norton’s 2011 article, “Strategy Execution Needs a System,” which provides a brief retrospective on updates and lessons learned.
The goal of this assignment is to generate recommendations for process improvement and organizational fitness. You will make your recommendations for the organization you selected in Unit 7 for the balanced scorecard PowerPoint presentation and which you presented in the Unit 8 assignment. Apply the concepts of balanced scorecards to create your recommendations.
To complete the assignment, write a paper in which you:
- Describe the selected organization, including its vision and mission.
- Analyze the company using any adaptation of the Kaplan and Norton balanced scorecard framework that fits your selected organization. Use the materials listed at the beginning of this assignment.
- Communicate vision, strategy, objectives, measures, targets, and initiatives for each of the following four elements through a macro-level discussion:
- Financial performance measures.
- Internal business processes.
- Learning and growth.
- Customer satisfaction.
- Convey the organization’s values through an ethical, organizational, and directional strategy.
- Synthesize evidence-based and best practices into recommendations for monitoring and improving discussions.
- Generate one recommendation for each of the following:
- Process improvements.
- Quality improvements.
- Organizational efficiency.
- In y our recommendations, use specific language and include evidence-based concepts from peer-reviewed literature, including a minimum of four outside peer-reviewed sources.
- Communicate information and ideas clearly, accurately, and concisely, including reference citations and using correct grammar.
- Written communication: Written communication is free from errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA style and formatting guidelines. Use APA format for:
- Cover page.
- Table of contents, including list of figures and tables.
- Headings and subheadings.
- Reference list.
- Number of resources: A minimum of six resources. The Norton and Kaplan articles, “The Balanced Scorecard: Measures that Drive Performance” and “Linking the Balanced Scorecard to Strategy,” will serve as two resources.
- Length of paper: 10–12 typed double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Arial, 10 point.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.
Portfolio Prompt: You are required to save this learning activity to your ePortfolio.
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code "Newclient" for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.