Considering the complexity of the world, it is tempting to think that the human senses are designed to take in information with as much accuracy as possible. However, the literature points to the fact that sometimes sensory systems actively distort information. For example, touch receptors stop signaling about the way clothes press against skin, or the visual system ignores blind spots in
. In some cases, the distortion of information is beneficial and allows humans to ignore unimportant details. Sometimes the distorted reports of sensory systems can be detrimental, as when an amputee suffers constant pain from a limb that is no longer there. To understand the mind, you have to understand how sensory systems report on the world. Important to this understanding is the distinction between sensation and perception.
In this Discussion, you will differentiate between sensation and perception. You will describe how pain is detected and transmitted to the nervous system and the pros and cons of pain perception. You will also describe the processes involved in pain management through both pharmaceutical and alternative pain treatments.
Note: For this Discussion, you are required to complete your initial post before you will be able to view and respond to your colleaguesâ€™ postings. Begin by clicking on theâ€¯Post to Discussion Questionâ€¯
, and then selectâ€¯
Threadâ€¯to complete your initial post. Remember, once you clickâ€¯onâ€¯Submit, you cannot delete or edit your own postsâ€”and cannot post anonymously. Please check your post carefully before clickingâ€¯onâ€¯Submit.
- Review this weekâ€™s Learning Resources in
to be able to differentiate between the terms sensation and perception as well as to be able to describe the processes involved in detecting and transmitting pain.
- Choose a specific pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical pain treatment and research the processes through which those treatments manage pain.
By Day 3
Post a response to the following:
- Define, describe, and clearly differentiate between the terms sensation and perception.
- Then, considering the sensation and perception of pain:
- Describe how pain is detected and the neurotransmitters and receptors involved in transmitting that information to the central nervous system.
- Choose a specific pharmaceutical pain medication and explain how it interferes with this pathway to reduce and manage pain. Consider the downsides of treating pain via pharmacological methods, such as opioids.
- Choose an alternative pain treatment (non-pharmaceutical) and explain how it works to manage pain. What are some potential pros and cons to this approach?
- Finally, propose at least one potential cost and one potential benefit of pain perception.
Support your posting with specific references from literature in the Walden Library and Learning Resources.Zero plagiarizing, Quote work, No.com’s
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code "Newclient" for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.