PICOT Question and Literature Search
The first step of the evidence-based practice process is to evaluate a nursing practice environment to identify a nursing problem in the clinical area. When a nursing problem is discovered, the nurse researcher develops a clinical guiding question to address that nursing practice problem.
For this assignment, you will create a clinical guiding question know as a PICOT question. The PICOT question must be relevant to a nursing practice problem. To support your PICOT question, identify six supporting peer-revised research articles, as indicated below. The PICOT question and six peer-reviewed research articles you choose will be utilized for subsequent assignments.
Use the “Literature Evaluation Table” to complete this assignment.
- Select a nursing practice problem of interest to use as the focus of your research. Start with the patient population and identify a clinical problem or issue that arises from the patient population. In 200â€“250 words, provide a summary of the clinical issue.
- Following the PICOT format, write a PICOT question in your selected nursing practice problem area of interest. The PICOT question should be applicable to your proposed capstone project (the project students must complete during their final course in the RN-BSN program of study).
- The PICOT question will provide a framework for your capstone project.
- Conduct a literature search to locate six research articles focused on your selected nursing practice problem of interest. This literature search should include three quantitative and three qualitative peer-reviewed research articles to support your nursing practice problem.
Note: To assist in your search, remove the words qualitative and quantitative and include words that narrow or broaden your main topic. For example: Search for diabetes and pediatric and dialysis. To determine what research design was used in the articles the search produced, review the abstract and the methods section of the article. The author will provide a description of data collection using qualitative or quantitative methods. Systematic Reviews, Literature Reviews, and Metanalysis articles are good resources and provide a strong level of evidence but are not considered primary research articles. Therefore, they should not be included in this assignment.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are not required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.
Week 1 Assignment
Date: Dec 1, 2019 12:00 AM
Week one is easily the most important week of this course. Everything builds off of what you do for this week.
- Identify a nursing practice problem. This problem needs to be something that you can implement and potentially put into practice. Don’t select a topic like, “decrease nurse turnover”. That is a big problem and probably not one that can be addressed in this program. Pick a topic where you can actually make a change.
- A better example of a nurse practice problem might be “provide breastfeeding education to a specific unit in a specific hospital”. This is achievable and realistic.
- You will be developing a PICOT statement that will define your progress and everything you do in this class will build upon this PICOT.
- The articles that you will be looking for this first week are articles that you will be using the rest of this class. So think of your practice problem first and then go to look for articles.
- DO NOT select articles that are a systematic review, or meta-analysis of the literature. This is a collection of other research articles but not a specific study. Find an article that focuses on one study.
- This first week you will complete your information on a form that is provided in your course resources. I have provided an example of what this first assignment should look like. This is the only thing you will turn in that does not need to be in an APA formatted paper.
- Remember that you are looking for a total of 6 articles. Three will be qualitative and three will be quantitative. QUANTITATIVE = quantity. Think of numbers. If research is reported and collected in numbers, this is quantitative. QUALITATIVE = quality. Think of interviews, opinions, etc. These research articles are reported in themes based upon the research article.
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code "Newclient" for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.