Complete Response Journal #5 (RJ5)
- This response journal is a formal, essay-style written response to this week’s reading. A prompt is provided.
The War of the Worlds is set in Victorian London at the end of the nineteenth century. The belief system during the Victorian era was that good and evil, moral right and wrong, were very clearly defined. However, at the time this book was published (1897) that belief system was being challenged by new social norms.
- How do you feel that Wells’ story is a warning about the sudden changes in social belief systems? Consider and write about what roles certain characters play in that warning—the curate, the artillery man, the narrator.
- Does this warning have any relevance today? If so, how?
- What observations/notes regarding the Wells’ biography video apply to the ideas you write about in this response?
Guidelines for Response Journals:
- Will be typed in a Word document
- Will be 500 words minimum in length (add word count at end of journal)
- Will cite the relevant text using proper documentation (include Works Cited)
- Will have a title along with the journal number
- Will use MLA format; one-inch margins, 12-point font, double spaced