The City of Sweetwater maintains an Employees’ Retirement Fund, a single- employer defined benefit plan that provides annuity and disability benefits. The fund is financed by actuarially determined contributions from the city’s General Fund and by contributions from employees. Administration of the retirement fund is handled by General Fund employees, and the retirement fund does not bear any administrative expenses. The Statement of Fiduciary” “Net Position for the Employees’ Retirement Fund as of July 1, 2014, is shown here:
CITY OF SWEETWATER
Employees’ Retirement Fund
Statement of Fiduciary Net Position
As of July 1, 2014
Accrued Interest Receivable 65,000
Investments, at Fair Value:
Common Stocks 1,300,000
Total Assets 5,985,000
Accounts Payable and Accrued Expenses 350,000
Fiduciary Net Position Restricted for Pensions $5,635,000
“During the year ended June 30, 2015, the following transactions occurred:
1. The interest receivable on investments was collected in cash.
2. Member contributions in the amount of $250,000 were received in cash. The city’s General Fund also contributed $750,000 in cash.
3. Annuity benefits of $700,000 and disability benefits of $150,000 were recorded as liabilities.
4. Accounts payable and accrued expenses in the amount of $900,000 were paid in cash.
5. Interest income of $240,000 and dividends in the amount of $40,000 were received in cash. In addition, bond interest income of $60,000 was ac- crued at year-end.
6. Refunds of $133,000 were made in cash to terminated, nonvested participants.
7. Common stocks, carried at a fair value of $500,000, were sold for $480,000. That $480,000, plus an additional $300,000, was invested in stocks.
8. At year-end, it was determined that the fair value of stocks held by the pension plan had decreased by $40,000; the fair value of bonds had in- creased by $35,000.
9. Nominal accounts for the year were closed.
a. Record the transactions on the books of the Employees’ Retirement Fund.
b. Prepare a Statement of Changes in Fiduciary Net Position for the Employees’ Retirement Fund for the Year Ended June 30, 2015
c. Prepare a Statement of Fiduciary Net Position for the Employees’ Retirement Fund as of June 30,2015