Out-of-Class Activity 2: Invisible Knapsack
For this activity, you will read Peggy McIntosh’s article “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack” (1990) and write at least a 450-word reaction paper. You must upload your assignment to Canvas on the day that it is due.
If you would like feedback on your assignment, in addition to uploading your assignment on Canvas, you must submit a hard copy of it at the beginning of class on the day that it is due. (Inversely, if you do not wish to receive feedback, and you only want to receive your grade, you should only upload your assignment to Canvas.)
The article is on Canvas under Files, Assignments, Out-of-Class Activities, OCA 2, “McIntosh – White Privilege Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack.”
Questions to Address for this Activity:
- Reflect on the article as a whole.
- What are your initial reactions? How did reading it make you feel?
- Think about the McIntosh’s goal in writing this article.
- What is the author trying to do? Do you feel that she did a good job of it?
- Is there anything you would say particularly different than McIntosh?
- Keep in mind when answering this the year in which the author wrote the article – context is always important, even when we are analyzing and/or critiquing work.
- Next, I want you to reflect on “the items in the knapsack” listed in the article.
- Have you thought about these situations before? Never? Sometimes? Constantly? Depending on the frequency, answer one of the following:
- If you have never really had to think about these situations, how do you think it feels to be aware of these situations? How would that shape your daily interactions with others and how you see and think about yourself?
- If you have to think about these situations sometimes or constantly, how does that feel? How do you think your daily life and understandings of yourself would be different if you didn’t have to worry about these situations?
- Lastly, I want you to add one situation, statement, idea, etc. to McIntosh’s list that she does not have on hers. Discuss briefly why your contribution should be on the list.
- NOTE: I will deduct points if your contribution is the same as one of hers or if it is too closely related to one of hers.
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code "Newclient" for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.