From time to time, your organization submits papers to academic publications to help showcase the organizationâ€™s thought leadership. Your boss wants to be assured that you are comfortable researching and writing in a style that many academic publications useâ€”in this case, APA style.
Your boss has asked you to research and write about ways that businesses can apply critical thinking skills to complex issues that are also affected by volatility, uncertainty, complexity, and ambiguity (VUCA). To gain an understanding of how businesses apply critical thinking, you have decided to read an article about Panera Bread Co. and how they solved their mosh pit problem. Then, you will choose another company that you know has a problem you believe good critical thinking and understanding of VUCA can address, allowing you to flex some critical thinking muscles, similar to the leadership at Panera.
Use the following as the basis for this assessment:
- Jargon, J. (2017, June 2). The Wall Street Journal.
- George, B. (2017, February 17). Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/hbsworkingknowledge/2…
- Kallet, M. (2014). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley & Sons.
- This e-book is an easy read on how to use critical thinking to problem solve. In particular, focus on section I, â€œIntroduction and the Framework for Critical Thinking,â€ section V, â€œDecisions,â€ and the final section, â€œCritical Thinking: Summary and Suggestions.â€
Think about how critical thinking and VUCA factored into Panera’s situation, using the Wall Street Journal article above. Then, think of a problem you have seen at a business you visited or read about in an article, and do any research you feel is necessary to thoroughly understand the problem this company has and to address this assessment.Write an APA-formatted paper that is well organized and covers the following:
- Write an introduction that tells the reader what to expect of this paper (1 paragraph).
- Provide an overview of the Panera bread situation, including brief mention of how critical thinking and VUCA factored into the resolution. Then, transition to a discussion of the problem you will be solving for another company, describing the situation (3â€“4 paragraphs).
- Apply the framework for critical thinking as outlined by Kallet to the problem you identified.
- Recommend at least one evidence-based solution to the situation.
- You must find one additional article to support your recommendation.
- Explain how VUCA (volatility, uncertainty, complexity, and ambiguity) could affect both the situation and your recommendation (1â€“2 paragraphs).
- Write a conclusion that wraps up and summarizes your document (1 paragraph).
Write a 3â€“5 page academic paper following APA style and formatting. Refer to the writing resources in the MBA Program Resources in the left navigation menu in the courseroom.
Related company standards:
- This assessment is an academic paper and should therefore follow the corresponding format for academic papers as listed in the MBA Academic and Professional Document Guidelines (located in the MBA Program Resources in the courseroom navigation panel).
- In addition to the content requirements, include:
- Title page.
- At least five subheadings (for example, Introduction, The Panera Situation, Chosen Company name, Critical Thinking, VUCA, Conclusion).
- References page.
- APA formatted references.