Family Counseling Approach Research Paper Instructions
You are required to write a research paper/formal literature review in current APA format on 1 of the specific approaches to family counseling, (e.g., structural, psychoanalytic, Bowenian, experiential, etc.; i.e., not a technique). You will identify leading figures, historical and current events, assumptions, development of the theory, concepts, and techniques related to your chosen approach. You will also note any similarities or dissimilarities between the chosen theory and other leading theories, and you will identify any new knowledge you acquired through this assignment.
You must have scholarly references, including books and journals that are written to or for scholars. You may use some non-scholarly materials; however, these may not be the bulk of your references.
Do not use the Goldenberg & Goldenberg textbook as your primary reference. You must use a minimum of 12 sources cited in current APA format in both the body of your paper and your reference page. Part I of your paper requires a minimum of 6 pages.
A personal integration section is required. This second section of your paper will be your attempt to integrate your own faith and family counseling approach. You may use whatever resources are necessary to complete this portion of the paper, including materials from the Ripley & Worthington textbook. Feel free to use additional books about integration or any materials you have found beneficial on integrating your faith and counseling. The supplemental textbooks listed in your Course Syllabus may help you in writing this paper. If your view is something other than Christian, discuss how your view might interact with your counseling approach. The use of first person is allowed in this section only. This portion of the paper must be a minimum of 4 pages. The entire paper (Parts I and II) will be a minimum of 10 pages.
This research paper will count for approximately 15% of your final grade. The paper will be graded on:
1. Clarity of writing, good writing style;
3. The flow of the paper;
4. Current APA style (ex: cover page, abstract page, correct font and font size, body of the paper, reference page(s), and double-spacing); and
5. Appropriate scholarly, online references and optional non-scholarly references. (Thousands of articles and books are available online through the Liberty University Online Library’s website and may be accessed immediately. If you request photocopying of documents and shipment of library books from the Guillermin Library, allow 3–5 days.)
Remember: The Goldenberg & Goldenberg textbook may be used as a guide, but do not make the textbook your paper.
The Family Counseling Approach Research Paper is due by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Friday of Module/Week 8.
Family Counseling Approach Research Paper Grading Rubric
|Criteria||Points Possible||Points Earned|
|Organization||0 to 37
· There is a clear, logical flow of ideas.
· Major points are stated clearly.
· Major points are supported by at least 1 of the following:
1. Twelve scholarly sources; and
2. Thoughtful analysis of themes (considering implications, identifying assumptions, etc.).
|Part I Content (6 pages)||0 to 45
· The selected approach to family counseling is identified.
· Leading figures, historical and current events, assumptions, development of the theory, concepts, techniques, etc. are identified.
· Similarities/dissimilarities are noted between the chosen theory and other leading theories.
· New knowledge acquired through this assignment is identified in the paper.
|Part II Content (4 pages)||0 to 30
· The assignment identifies how faith or worldview coincides with the selected counseling theory.
· A clear integration of the principles and techniques within the selected counseling theory is demonstrated.
|Readability and Current APA Format||0 to 30
· Proper spelling and grammar are used.
· Sentences are complete, clear, and concise.
· Paragraphs contain appropriately varied sentence structures.
· References are cited in current APA format.
|Logistics of Paper||0 to 8
· The assignment meets the required page length (10 pages).