- Calculate and record the electricity consumption of particular appliances.
- Evaluate the financial cost of using electricity
- Analyze and evaluate the environmental cost of using electricity.
- Suggest methods to make informed choices when choosing and operating electric equipment.
Find data on “The cost of electricity” and some energy calculator online. Answer the questions. The answers must be detailed for maximum points.
In the USA, electricity is sold in kilowatt hours (kWh). 1 kilowatt (kW) = 1000 Watts.
- To convert watts to kilowatts, divide the number of Watts by 1000. KW = W/1000
- To obtain kilowatt hours (kWh) = multiply kilowatt by the number of hours an appliance is used. KWh = kW x h
- Make a list with all the electrical appliances in your household.
- Estimate how much time an appliance is used. Beware: appliances that have remote control use electricity even in the “stand by” mode, about 20% of normal use.
- Convert minutes into hours by dividing the number of minutes by 60 h = m/60
- Determine the cost of electricity multiplying the kWh by the price per kWh which you can look up on your electric bill or at your utility’s website. Cost = kWh x $/kWh
- Record your data. Include all appliances. For information or help to calculate go to: http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/appliances/index.cfm/mytopic=10040 (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. or other calculators.
Appliance: (list them bellow) Electricity used per hour; # in your house; hours used/week; cost
- What three appliances use the most energy in your home?
- Describe two ways to reduce your home consumption of electricity. Please be specific and explain.
- In a coal burning power plant, 1 kg of coal (2.2 pounds) generates about 2 kWh of electricity. How many kilograms of coal are required to produce the electricity used by your home in one week? Show your calculation. (Total weekly consumption(kWh) X 7/ 2)
- A coal fired power plant releases 1 kg of CO2 for every 1 kWh of electricity produced. How much CO2 will be released to produce the electricity used by your home in a week? Show your calculation.
- Find and compare the electricity prices between the US states. Comment.
- Compare the average electricity consumption between your household and a German, a Chinese and a Kenyan household. Comment on the data.
- What is renewable energy?
- Name three types of renewable energy.
- Which form of renewable energy would be most suited to Missouri?
- Should renewable energy sources be used more widely in our country? Name 3 benefits.
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code "Newclient" for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.